Welcome to my website, NZHistoryJock.
I am an experienced and enthusiastic historian of New Zealand, who:
- has taught history at Victoria University of Wellington where I established the Stout Research Centre for New Zealand Studies.
- has been Chief Historian for the New Zealand government and oversaw major historical projects such as the New Zealand Historical Atlas.
- was a Conceptual Leader at Te Papa, Museum of New Zealand where I led the development of the Day1 history exhibitions.
- was the originator and General Editor of Te Ara, the Encyclopedia of New Zealand (www.TeAra.govt.nz).
- has written by myself or with others over a dozen books of New Zealand history.
You can read about me in more detail here.
Now that I have left the public service with the first build of Te Ara complete, I am keen to assist and encourage people to get a better understanding of New Zealand and its fascinating history. I have had a long experience in communicating history through writing, speeches, radio broadcasts, exhibitions, websites, historical tours. Here you will find more information about the services I offer.
You can purchase books that I am publishing, read some of my writing, and hear some of my radio broadcasts.
You can also enjoy, and contribute, to my blog.
This country has an engrossing history – and there is more of it everyday!
You can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.